When entering a church, most eyes are drawn to the front of the building where there usually stands a pulpit. The pulpit is the focal point and perhaps one of the most important pieces of furniture. The Osceola County Historical Society (OCHS) has recently had the privilege of building a replica church for the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek. This church would not be complete without its furnishings. One of the most important items to be included in these furnishings is, of course, the pulpit. Luckily, OCHS didn't have to go very far to find the perfect pulpit to be placed in the church.
Some years ago, OCHS was gifted artifacts from the Shingle Creek Methodist Church, which still remains in use on Old Vineland Road. A new sanctuary was built for the church, and eventually new furnishings would be purchased. Among the items that were donated to OCHS, was the church’s old pulpit. While the background of the pulpit is not entirely known, the church itself has an interesting history. Henry Overstreet first brought his family to Shingle Creek in 1856. He and other residents of the area longed to have a church. With the little resources available to them, they constructed a brush arbor to conduct services under. Eventually, a log house was built and soon after replaced by a plank house. The building seemed to be satisfactory until it was decided a proper wooden sanctuary would be built in 1893-1894. This new sanctuary would be used until 1964.
Shingle Creek Methodist Church’s pulpit finds its new home in the replica church at the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek. The new building will be celebrated with a ribbon cutting ceremony on June 7, 2017. Visitors will have the chance to see the beautiful furnishings of the new church, including the historical pulpit.
Source: “Osceola County Centennial 1887-1987”