It was slightly different in design but dating to the same 1890s time period as the replica schoolhouse at the Pioneer Village and two stories have emerged regarding how the school got its name. Miss Emma Yowell, one of the early teachers refers to it as “Shaker Rag” and stated in a 1940 newspaper interview that it was later known as “Pine Grove” in a 1940 newspaper.
Imagine transporting a student from the 1890’s schoolhouse at Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek to a heavily populated area in Osceola County, Florida in 1980; where wild turkeys and bobcats once roamed. What they would see would be startling. An earth-covered school, the design borrowed from Southwest American Indian tribes; was being built to save energy. Referred to as “The dirt school, Groundhog or Eskimo Elementary”, the name chosen was ”Reedy Creek Elementary”.
One of the official actions at the first School Board meeting on August 29, 1887 was to name and number the schools. # 5 was Shiloh, #7 Cross Prairie, #11 Neallo and #13 was Lakeview, to name a few. There were a total of twenty-one with #22, Merry Winter, added the following month. The salary for teachers assigned between ten and fifteen students was set at $20 a month; classes above fifteen students would result in $1.50 per student per month additional payment.
Topics: Osceola History, Around Osceola, The Pioneer Village, Educational, St. Cloud, Osceola County History, Pioneer Village, City of Kissimmee, Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek, City of St. Cloud, Osceola County Historical Society, Osceola County, Oscoela County Historical Society, Samuel Lincoln Lupfer,, Kissimmee
Under the supervision of the Rodeo Association of America, the Cow Capital Roundup came to Kissimmee and attracted over 35,000 spectators to the ten day event. Opening on February 12, 1940, two busloads of North Carolina Mayors, the Governor of Florida, State dignitaries and tourists from across the United States came to witness the event.
Walk up and down the streets of St. Cloud, Florida and you will pass many homes dating to 1910. But if you venture to Lakeshore Blvd. a lovely two-story home dating to 1887 greets you.
With the help of the Narcoossee Area Chapter, the Osceola County Historical Society has been able to expand its reach in preserving the history of the Narcoossee area. OCHS is now hoping to form the Soldier City Chapter to help preserve the history of St. Cloud, Florida and its surrounding areas.
“Our Women Have the Vote” read the headlines of the September 26, 1918 “St. Cloud Tribune”. But as quickly as they gained it, they lost it.
Topics: Around Osceola County
Born in Hartford County, Maryland on February 23, 1864, William Burroughs Makinson was one of Osceola County’s early pioneers honored in 2011 by the Osceola County Historical Society at their annual Dine with the Departed event. He spent the early years of his life on a farm near Baltimore with his three siblings and parents William T. and Mary L. Makinson. In 1883, W.B. traveled by boat to Jacksonville, then by train to Sanford, Florida, finally arriving in Kissimmee on the first train to make the run from Sanford.
Born in Bedford, Ohio, John Carroll worked for Ohio oil companies until 1936 when he became manager of his father’s 55,000 acre Carrollton Ranch in Deer Park. In 1947, he became Vice President of the First National Bank of Kissimmee, retiring in 1975 as Chairman of the Board. John was one of the sixteen horsemen who rode in the inaugural parade for Governor Spessard Holland in 1941. He was a charter member of the Silver Spurs quadrille, helped organize the Silver Spurs Riding Club and was its first “Big Boss” in 1942. At the age of 81, John was honored by being named “Coca Cola Cowboy” in 1988 by the Club. Bestowed annually since 1982, the honor was given to an Osceola County resident who had worked to promote the rodeo and its way of life. After receiving the honor, he replied “You don’t know what it means to a Yankee to be accepted like I have been.”
Mary Essie Petrie Caldwell was featured at the first Dine with the Departed event hosted by the Osceola County Historical Society in 2010. Of distinguished Hugenot ancestry, Essie, as she was fondly known, was born June 3, 1838 in Cheraw, South Carolina to Reverend George H.W. Petrie and his wife Mary Jane. Rev. Petrie was an eminent clergyman of the Southern Presbyterian Church and Essie’s grandfather was an officer in the American Revolution.