An interesting parallel between 1917 and 2017 was found in an April 12, 1917, “St. Cloud Tribune” news article which states,“Mr. H.A. Haymaker of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania purchased the entire block situated between the Atlantic Coast Line depot and the Bank.” The property was unoccupied and used only as a park for a number of years. The article continues, “Mr. Haymaker’s plans involve the erection of a building to cover the entire block, from three to five stories in height, the lower floors to be reserved for stores and business houses, while the upper floors will be finished up in either apartments or for hotel purposes.”
For those familiar with St. Cloud, the location of the 1917 property was on the corner of Tenth Street and New York Avenue, the site of the old Chamber of Commerce building, which has the clock on top of the building.
This project never came to fruition but St. Cloud has plans for a high rise building once again, in 2017, but this time ten to fifteen stories, very near the location of this long ago proposed one. History does repeat itself!
Source: “St. Cloud Tribune”, April 12, 1917