Built in 1924-1925, the Interocean Hotel located on Highway 17-92 seven miles south of Kissimmee, Florida; sat empty the year following completion.
It stood vacant for almost ten years until Miss Ossie England, a former teacher from Ohio and affiliated with The Household of Faith, took it over about 1934, opening it as a Bible training school for ministers and missionaries. The town name changed from Interocean City to Intercession City with residents lending moral and financial support to the institution.
Its success continued and students published their own yearbook, La Palmera. The Osceola County Historical Society is fortunate to have a copy of the 1948 yearbook in their research archives.
All residents were saved when the building was destroyed by a fire which began on the roof after midnight in May 1958. It was owned by Pilgrim Holiness Church; there were no plans to rebuild.
Sources: “River of the Long Water” by Alma Hetherington
Photo sources: Osceola County Historical Society postcard collection