After selling their haberdashery business in Chicago, Emanuel J. “Manny” and Theresa Budinger moved to St. Cloud, Florida in 1944. The Budingers established the Clock and China Museum at 1725 Missouri Avenue in St. Cloud a few years later. They began to collect clocks from all over the world and a museum was established, with a special building to house Theresa’s rare china collection. They charged no admission fee and refused any monetary donations. Theresa realized that with such a large elderly population in the community, St. Cloud should have a hospital so she decided that by accepting donations from the visitors, she could raise funds for this purpose. Once the St. Cloud Hospital Foundation was chartered, clubs and organizations held benefit affairs, giving proceeds to the Foundation. Groundbreaking was held in October 1957 and the hospital officially opened its doors on March 19, 1964.
The Shakers, a short name taken by the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing, trace their beliefs to the early traditions of the church and more particularly to a 17th century group of French Protestants known as Camisards or Prophets. They were driven from France to England and disappeared from view but did pass on their beliefs to a group of Quakers who were attracted by the similar faith.
Mark McHugh made his grand entrance on April 19th when Gatorland hosted a groundbreaking ceremony announcing their $2 million expansion which will feature the ALL new Gator Joe's Adventure Outpost and Stompin' Gator Off-Road Adventure, scheduled to open Fall 2017.
Every third Thursday of the month the Osceola County Historical Society hosts an interactive reading event. Gather around the fireplace at the Osceola County Welcome Center and History Museum to listen to a carefully chosen children’s book, whose theme compliments our current temporary exhibit. After storytelling by the fireplace, we move into the Buster Kenton Room to let our creative side run loose as we craft a themed art project. While our event is targeted towards children ages 3 to 6, we welcome kids of all ages to join in the fun of Story Time at the Museum.
An interesting parallel between 1917 and 2017 was found in an April 12, 1917, “St. Cloud Tribune” news article which states,“Mr. H.A. Haymaker of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania purchased the entire block situated between the Atlantic Coast Line depot and the Bank.” The property was unoccupied and used only as a park for a number of years. The article continues, “Mr. Haymaker’s plans involve the erection of a building to cover the entire block, from three to five stories in height, the lower floors to be reserved for stores and business houses, while the upper floors will be finished up in either apartments or for hotel purposes.”
The settlement of Runnymede, formerly known as Wharton was located three miles east of St. Cloud and two miles from Narcoossee. Following the formation of Osceola County on May 12, 1887, an election was held on the following February to determine the county seat and courthouse location. Kissimmee received 421 votes & Runnymede 30.
Last month we shared a blog about a sweet potatoe pie that built a church. As a special treat this month we are sharing another recipe. This recipe can be found in "Yesteryear and Today 1840 - 2006", a collection of recipes by Dixie Myrtice Bronson Nickle. Dixie decicated this recipe book to her mother Ada Bernice Bronson, who taught Dixie how to cook as a young girl. The recipe book is one of the many books available for purchase at the Osceola County Welcome Center and History Museum and the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek.
In the last weeks of Florida Archaeology Month, let’s talk beads. Beads are an important part of Native American cultures. The size, shape, color, and material of beads denotes status in many native cultures. Early beads found in Florida and the greater Eastern coastal region were made from clay, bone and shell. Clay and bone beadswere the easiest to make and became the most abundant. However, beads from the quahog clam, wampum, was also popular on the Eastern coast. The mostly white shell of the quahog has shades of light to deep purple around its edges; the amount of purple varies from shell to shell, making the color rarer and worth twice the amount of white wampum. Purple wampum designated their wearer as powerful, wealthy, and important in the community.
White Wampum, Interior of Quahog Shell, Purple Wampum