The formal opening for the Colonial Inn and Club was held on Washington’s birthday, February 22, 1928. It was built about 1915, as the former residence of J. Wade Tucker, a Georgia lumber baron. He had become successful in business ventures here.
It was announced that work on a nine-hole golf course was soon to be completed, with another nine holes planned. In addition, club members would enjoy the club house, tennis courts and locker rooms.
The Colonial Inn was to be run as a first class tourist hotel, with dining room open to the public and would be available for parties, dances and other public gatherings. Under the management of Miss Lottie Lawler, the Colonial Club and Inn became a popular spot for ladies to gather for teas, with many of the social and civic organizations also meeting there.
In the late 1930s it was bought and restored by Lester and Hilda Ivey, who lived there until their deaths. Their son Jerry married Esther “Sis” Dale in the house in 1950 and “Sis” still resides in the spacious mansion which can be seen from Orange Blossom Trail. The home is directly across from the Florida Hospital, north of Kissimmee.
Photo Courtesy: Michael D. Bast Postcard Collection
Sources: Kissimmee Valley Gazette Newspaper