The September 23, 1909 edition of the “St. Cloud Tribune” announced completion of the Hotel St. Cloud, as it was originally named. It was built from material salvaged from the Disston Sugar Mill. Two weeks later the newspaper reported it had been filled to capacity since opening; with many sleeping on cots in the hotel parlor and other available places.
In December 1909, a short three months after the St. Cloud Hotel was completed, the hotel caught fire at 3AM. The fire spread rapidly due to it being been built of wood. Although it burned to the ground, fortunately no lives were lost. It was believed the fire originated in the chimney from the parlor, where a fire had been burning in the stove during the evening.
Work began immediately on a new three-story masonry St. Cloud Hotel and by April 2, 1910 was once again overflowing with guests. The balconies were removed about 1912 and many coats of paint have adorned it over the years, but it still stands on the corner of 10th St. and New York Ave., 106 years later.
After being built in 1909... then rebuilt after a fire destroyed the hotel 3 months after completion, The St. Cloud Hotel is still standing strong on the corner of 10th St. and New York Ave., 106 years later.
Photo Courtesy: Florida State Archives and Michael Bast Postcard Collection