Held annually each February, the Kissimmee Valley Livestock Show and Fair we are familiar with originated in the 1940s with the Kissimmee Valley Livestock Market being used as its venue. Interrupted briefly by World War II, the fair and show returned, was incorporated and became an association which continues the tradition of an annual fair and livestock show.
Between twelve and one o’clock on the night of July 28, 1917, fire broke out in the W.A. Drawdy store room on Pennsylvania Avenue in St. Cloud, Florida. The fire swept down both sides of Pennsylvania Avenue, affecting eighteen businesses before it was brought under control.
An interesting parallel between 1917 and 2017 was found in an April 12, 1917, “St. Cloud Tribune” news article which states,“Mr. H.A. Haymaker of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania purchased the entire block situated between the Atlantic Coast Line depot and the Bank.” The property was unoccupied and used only as a park for a number of years. The article continues, “Mr. Haymaker’s plans involve the erection of a building to cover the entire block, from three to five stories in height, the lower floors to be reserved for stores and business houses, while the upper floors will be finished up in either apartments or for hotel purposes.”