First known as the Chapter House, the Hart Memorial Librarywas erected about 1910 as the meeting place for the Kissimmee Chapter of the American Woman’s League (A.W.L.) and the local Woman’s Christian Temperance Union (W.C.T.U.).
Catherine “Kate” S. Hart, widow of former Governor Ossian B. Hart, moved to Kissimmee in 1884 and was postmistress for several years. Catherine had purchased lots in Kissimmee, one of which she donated to the Presbyterian Church. A small cottage was erected on the other, where Catherine lived. When her health deteriorated, she moved to Morristown, New Jersey; where she died on October 9, 1897. Catherine’s Campbell sisters were in charge of disposing of her property in Kissimmee.