Osceola County Historical Society Blog

The Reward of Loving History!

Posted by Krystal Baize on Jun 27, 2018 11:34:50 AM

History is happening every day, the Narcoossee Area Chapter of the Osceola County Historical Society made history of their own at the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation's 40th Annual Conference in Jacksonville, FL,  The chapter received an Outstanding Achievement Award from The Florida Trust for Historic Preservation, recognizing the circa 1886 Narcoossee Schoolhouse project.

Read More

Topics: Osceola History, Volunteer, Narcoossee, Osceola County Historical Society Curator, Narcoossee Schoolhouse

A Year in Review: 2016/2017 Annual Meeting Recap

Posted by Krystal Baize on Sep 22, 2017 2:35:41 PM

The Osceola County Historical Society held it’s 2016/2017 Annual Meeting last night, September 21, 2017, in the Buster Kenton Room at the Osceola County Welcome Center and History Museum. Guests were able to stroll through the museum before and after the presentation to soak in all of the information of this state-of-the-art immersive nature and history museum including the current Tin Can Tourism Temporary Exhibit which is on display through October 15.

Read More

Topics: Osceola County Historical Society Membership, Osceola County Welcome Center and HIstory Museum, KUA, Narcoossee, Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek, 2016/2017 Annual Meeting

A, B, C's and 1, 2, 3's: The Completion of the Pioneer Village Schoolhouse

Posted by Krystal McIntee on Feb 13, 2017 2:09:40 PM

The Osceola County Historical Society is pleased with the new additions popping up around the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek. The original authentic structures, including the Cadman Complex, the Lanier home, and the Tyson home are just a few of the buildings preserved from the late 1800s used to educate the public in the ways of living back in the late 1800s.

Read More

Topics: History, Narcoossee, Replica Schoolhouse, Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek

The Church of St. Luke and St. Peter

Posted by Anza Bast on Dec 29, 2016 9:30:00 AM

Established in 1884, Narcoossee became a colony comprised of English immigrants. They began to meet for worship services regularly by 1887, sometimes gathering in homes; when weather was pleasant, they would meet outdoors. Soon, consideration was given to building an Episcopal church in Narcoossee and fundraising efforts began. Some funds for the completion of the church in 1897 did come from England, but the majority of money was raised locally.

 Rumors circulated over the years claiming that the wood & furnishings were sent over from England. Records show the lumber for the construction of the church and the roof shakes (shingles) came from the Fell-Davidson sawmill in Narcoossee, the bell (from a factory in Ohio) was previously used at the Runnymede Hotel and the Gothic style church was designed by an Orlando architect.

 

Read More

Topics: History, St. Cloud, The Church of St. Luke and St. Peter, Pioneer Village, Narcoossee, Around Osceola County

About this Blog

The Osceola County Historical Society is focused on preserving Osceola County’s rich, cultural history while sharing it with others. This blog is perfect for just that. 

Remember, here you can find information on:

  • Osceola County History
  • Pioneer Families
  • Events at the Welcome Center and History Museum
  • Much, much more!

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts

Posts by Topic

see all