In the summer of 1916, sixty-five young men from Osceola County answered the call to form a National Guard unit, originally called Company K, but became Company B, 2nd Infantry. Their roster contained many familiar family names: Barber, Bass, Bronson, Carson, Farmer, Graves, Johnston, Lupfer, Makinson, Oliver, Padgett and Tress. A grand reception was given as the “lads” were sent off by train to Black Point Camp near Jacksonville where they would be deployed to Mexico to join in the fight against Poncho Villa.
They were welcomed home with great ceremony in March of 1917, but rest was short as war on the European front was building. In late July, Company B was automatically drafted into service and prepared to be shipped off to camp in Macon, Georgia, and joined by other local men who had been registered for military service.
Source: “Kissimmee Valley Gazette”
Photo Courtesy: Osceola County Historical Society