The replica schoolhouse at the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek is typical of the style that Emma Viola Yowell may have taught in. Born in Illinois about 1862, she began her teaching career there in 1886. After moving to Florida in 1888, Emma taught at the Athens School in Polk County, followed by a transfer to Davenport in 1889. The move to Osceola County in 1890 was the beginning of Emma’s fifty years of service to our community.
The Osceola County Historical Society held it’s 2016/2017 Annual Meeting last night, September 21, 2017, in the Buster Kenton Room at the Osceola County Welcome Center and History Museum. Guests were able to stroll through the museum before and after the presentation to soak in all of the information of this state-of-the-art immersive nature and history museum including the current Tin Can Tourism Temporary Exhibit which is on display through October 15.
The Osceola County Historical Society received an $80,000 Cultural Facility Grant through the Florida Department of State Division of Cultural Affairs. The organization will use the state funds from this grant to continue the next phase of the expansion of the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek (2491 Babb Rd., Kissimmee, FL 34746), which will include the construction and furnishing of a late-1800s replica General Store. The replica General Store is scheduled to be completed this fall and open during the 26th Annual Pioneer Day on November 11, 2017.
When entering a church, most eyes are drawn to the front of the building where there usually stands a pulpit. The pulpit is the focal point and perhaps one of the most important pieces of furniture. The Osceola County Historical Society (OCHS) has recently had the privilege of building a replica church for the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek. This church would not be complete without its furnishings. One of the most important items to be included in these furnishings is, of course, the pulpit. Luckily, OCHS didn't have to go very far to find the perfect pulpit to be placed in the church.
The one-room schoolhouse of the early 1900s was often filled with benches or desks, but one stood out from the rest: the teacher’s desk. Many times, there were too many students and children had to resort to sharing those desks, as well as books and other school items. However, the teacher’s desk was for one person: the teacher.
The Osceola County Historical Society is pleased with the new additions popping up around the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek. The original authentic structures, including the Cadman Complex, the Lanier home, and the Tyson home are just a few of the buildings preserved from the late 1800s used to educate the public in the ways of living back in the late 1800s.