The September 23, 1909 edition of the “St. Cloud Tribune” announced completion of the Hotel St. Cloud, as it was originally named. It was built from material salvaged from the Disston Sugar Mill. Two weeks later the newspaper reported it had been filled to capacity since opening; with many sleeping on cots in the hotel parlor and other available places.