The formal opening for the Colonial Inn and Club was held on Washington’s birthday, February 22, 1928. It was built about 1915, as the former residence of J. Wade Tucker, a Georgia lumber baron. He had become successful in business ventures here.
It was announced that work on a nine-hole golf course was soon to be completed, with another nine holes planned. In addition, club members would enjoy the club house, tennis courts and locker rooms.