One of the official actions at the first School Board meeting on August 29, 1887 was to name and number the schools. # 5 was Shiloh, #7 Cross Prairie, #11 Neallo and #13 was Lakeview, to name a few. There were a total of twenty-one with #22, Merry Winter, added the following month. The salary for teachers assigned between ten and fifteen students was set at $20 a month; classes above fifteen students would result in $1.50 per student per month additional payment.
By 1890 a one-room school, Sunny Side, had been built by S.L. Lupfer and was situated at Maryland Avenue and Tenth Street in St. Cloud, Florida.
A larger one-room schoolhouse has been replicated and can be toured at the Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek. Field trips for students may also be scheduled; for more information please visit us at: http://osceolahistory.org/field-trips/
Sources: “The Osceola County Centennial Book, 1987”; “River of the Long Water” by Alma Hetherington
Photo source: Osceola County Historical Society photograph archives